I was going to keep this blog all about education, but then Becoming Whole threw an amazingly friendly and exciting wrench in my plan (Thanks!). Those of you who know me or have read my first few posts will know that going away from my plans is not usually my thing… Well, let me just keep breaking away!
I’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award!
Here are the blogging world’s rules:
The Liebster Award is an award that helps us all discover new blogs that we enjoy. This award is given to upcoming bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers (Umm… yep!). Liebster is German and means dearest or favorite. The closest I came to finding the origins was here. Clearly, the numbers have shifted quite a bit, but this is still great. These are the non-compulsory rules to follow for this award:
1. Thank the Liebster-winning blogger who nominated you, and link back to their blog. (This one is done!)
2. Post 11 facts about yourself. (About me? Not education? I can do this. Breathe.)
3. Answer the 11 questions your nominator asked. (Sure, why not?)
4. Create 11 questions for your nominees. (I love asking questions.)
5. Nominate 11 blogs of 200 followers or less who you feel deserve to be noticed and leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been chosen. (Here’s my challenge!)
6. Display the Liebster Award logo. (So easily done.)
My 11 facts:
1. I do most of my reading on my subway commute to work. I like to listen to audiobooks because I get to experience more in less time. I also listen to the books on double speed– try it!
2. I speak German, but I wish I could speak it better. I’ve lost a lot of the vocabulary, but the grammar and syntax are still fully intact (that’s the hardest part with German, I think).
3. I love the smell of fresh, warm laundry. It’s my favorite.
4. I met my husband when we were in high school on a random trip to Washington DC. We’re from different places. We now live in Brooklyn and have two wonderful, shaggy, professor-looking dogs and a Hemingway cat.
5. I understand people.
6. My favorite author is John Steinbeck, and my favorite book is East of Eden.
7. I have several places I call home: Battle Creek, MI; Wiesbaden, Germany; Lawrence, KS; Montville, ME; Brooklyn, NY; and San Francisco, CA (only because I go there so much and see close family).
8. I have seven siblings. I love all of them.
9. I love to learn and ask questions.
10. I like to make my classroom and apartment look like a magazine or catalogue (a spunky one, of course!).
11. I’m in love with the apostrophe and every arbitrary mark we use to communicate in written language.
Now for the eleven questions that Becoming Whole asked:
- Why did you start blogging? What keeps you blogging?
I started blogging because I read some inspirational material that made me think I have something to offer the community by writing about my work. I hope to reach classrooms and families around the world with my experience to help make the lives of children better.
- Who influences the way that you write the most?
My audience– I want to make a difference on a larger scale. That’s why I’m writing.
- What is your favorite movie that you have seen in the past year? All time?
I don’t really watch many movies. I prefer shows; each episode is a chapter, and they don’t end too fast. My favorite movies, however, include Temple Grandin, Back to the Furture, and Annie.
- What is your favorite book? Why?
East of Eden. The message in this story is so powerful to me. The translation (or understanding) of one word can change the meaning of the message completely. Choice can be a powerful thing, and this book really highlights that. The other thing I really like about this book is that Steinbeck knows people. He can create vivid characters; characters I feel like I know now.
- If you had a day where you had no internet, no work, and yet you could be anywhere in the world in a matter of seconds, where would you go, what would you do, and what one person would you take with you?
I would go back to Berlin with my husband. I would walk the whole city and soak up the creative energy.
- In what ways do you relax?
I relax by putting in my earphones, turning on an audiobook, and walking my dogs through the neighborhood.
- What is your favorite food?
I love artichokes.
- Is your living space clean or messy right now?
Clean… or as clean as a New York apartment can be
- Salt or Pepper?
- What is the best job you have ever had?
The one I have now– I love to teach.
- Other than salt or pepper, what is one spice that you never go without in your kitchen?
Garlic… and the other is cumin.
Now, for my 11 questions:
- Where is your favorite place in the world? Why?
- What’s your favorite app? Why?
- What’s the one device you wouldn’t want to be without?
- What are your favorite pizza toppings?
- What’s the most prominent color in your wardrobe?
- Who is your favorite author? Why?
- Who was your favorite teacher? Why?
- Who was your worst teacher? Why?
- Did you (or do you) like school?
- Bing or Google?
- What book are you reading (or listening to) right now?
And now, for my 11 nominees:
This is the part I’m working on right now! Updates to come!